Join us for our 8th season and sing with Sara Thomsen as we support Walk-in Counseling Center!
Auditions for February 2019 concerts
**PLEASE NOTE: AS OF 10/23/18 ALL Soprano and Alto slots are filled. At this time, ONLY those auditioning for TENOR, BARITONE, AND BASS should reserve a slot.
Nov. 8 7:00 – 9:00 pm (8-minute time slots)
Nov. 11 Noon – 2:30 pm (8-minute time slots)
There are two audition pieces: One you are asked to prepare ahead of time; the other will be taught at the audition.
- “Please Stay” by Jake Runestad
- Sopranos and Altos: Prepare the solo line, m. 6 – 16, and sing your voice part at m. 31 – 42
- Tenors and Basses: Prepare your line at m. 20 – 28 and 31- 42
- Please note: The pianist will play the piano accompaniment during your audition
- Printed music will be provided for your use at the audition
Make sure that you have read our Participation Details.
Sign up here for your audition slot!
Plan to arrive at your audition 10 minutes early to fill out a form and to take a few deep breaths before you sing. Auditions are held at Central Presbyterian Church, 500 Cedar Street in downtown St. Paul. Free parking is available in the lot that we share with Minnesota Public Radio at 9th and Minnesota.
- Turn left off Minnesota onto 9th into the back lot. The church is also located on the Green Line (10th Street Station).
- See Central Presbyterian Church > Directions for detailed directions.
Skills we are looking for in our singers
- Ability to match pitch and blend
- Ability to follow directions
- Ability to sing with musicality
- Attitude of collaboration, productivity, and helpfulness
- We also ask your current/past experience in a choir — we take that into consideration as well (such as singing in a college-level choir, or in an auditioned community choir)
A few helpful hints for a great audition
- Be prepared! VocalPoint rehearsals move quickly — we look for singers who are ready for each rehearsal
- Mistakes happen! That’s OK; take instruction quickly and easily, as that’s a trait we look for in our singers. Mistakes won’t ruin your audition, but a bad attitude or not improving might
- We are interested in people who can learn quickly, blend well, and offer good musicality to our choir