VocalPoint’s 8th season has begun!
We are thrilled to be partnering with Walk-In Counseling Center, which provides free mental health counseling to help thousands of people address issues of depression, anxiety, chemical abuse/dependency, trauma, domestic violence and a variety of other emotional and interpersonal concerns. VocalPoint will be telling Walk-In’s story that focuses on how we can hold space for others when they are needing someone to listen without judgement.
We’ve invited singer/songwriter Sara Thomsen to help us tell that story. Sara’s award-winning music speaks of healing and comfort. With a voice rich as the best mid-west soil, Sara’s songs carry you inward and outward—in, to the particulars of your own life, and out—into the shared humanity of us all. Her performance style is easygoing and full of humor and depth, capturing the audience’s engagement. Sara’s music gently enfolds and unfolds the listener. Somewhere to Begin is Thomsen’s most recent solo album. “The kind of music she’s making is well-crafted, sung beautifully, and recorded immaculately,” states the Duluth News Tribune review. “Fans of Joan Baez and Peter, Paul and Mary might want to check this out.” The album is “deep and well written” proclaims The Reader, with “excellent songwriting and storytelling.” Thomsen’s song “Precious Waters” received a Woody Guthrie Songwriting Award.
We invite you to participate in our season!
Sunday, Oct. 14: Kick-Off Sunday
- A chance to sing together, to “try out” VocalPoint, or to learn about Walk-In Counseling Center!
- This is also a chance to thank Central Presbyterian Church for donating the beautiful space for us to use!
- Singers are invited to gather at 9 a.m. to rehearse (wear VP shirt, all black with VP tie/scarf, or just all black)
- The service at 10:30 will include a Walk-In Counseling Center staff member who will introduce us to the organization.
- Following worship, all are invited to the Dining Room for lunch and a short program led by Walk-In Counseling Center. Come and learn about this great organization!
Thursday, Nov. 8 and Sunday, Nov. 11
- Auditions (Reserve a time slot starting Sept. 20)
Sunday, Nov. 18: Field Trip to the Science Museum of Minnesota
- 12:30 Meet in the Science Museum Lobby to see together the exhibit: Mental Health: Mind Matters
This groundbreaking exhibition aims to build a greater understanding of the importance of mental health and create a safe space for important conversations about mental illness. Hands-on experiences throughout the Mental Health: Mind Matters exhibit bring you closer to the facts, feelings, and issues surrounding this topic that touches so many of our lives.
Cost: $19 per adult (less for children and seniors, less if we have a group of 15 or more; scholarships available)
Sunday, Jan. 6
- Rehearsals begin; 1 – 4 p.m. Rehearsals are each Sunday until concert weekend.
Dates TBD: Book Study and Movie Screening
- We will have opportunities to read and learn together. Stay tuned for more information about these events!
Thursday, Feb. 7
- Dress rehearsal at 7 pm
Saturday, Feb. 9 and Sunday, Feb. 10
- Concerts at 4 p.m.